Panasonic have just announced their upgrade to the GH2 …aptly named as the GH3. It can record 1080p video at up to 72Mbps using an ALL-I codec, as well as 50fps in AVCHD mode, at 28Mbps. The camera is based around a 16 megapixel Live MOS sensor, and can record in MP4, MOV (Quicktime) and AVCHD. The ISO range is 200 to 12,800. Like the GH2 it also has full time AF in video mode.
Panasonic have roped in Bruce Logan and Philip Bloom to use a preproduction version of the camera to make a short drama to show off the abilities of the new camera. Like better low light response, slo mo etc.
..and here’s a behind the scenes making of doco ..shot on the GH2.
The two main problems I had with the GH2 was the poor low light performance and the plastic construction. The GH3 seems to have sorted both of these out.
and you can also run it from your smartphone !
Smartphone or Tablet Linking
The Wi-Fi function lets you use your smartphone to make settings and press the shutter button remotely, a short distance from the camera. The auto transfer function is handy for automatically backing up photos onto a tablet. This lets you monitor them on the tablet without having to upload them to a PC. You can also start timer interval video recordings from your smartphone. And you can use GPS data to simultaneously record the shooting location onto your images.
Here’s the spec.
- 16.05MP Digital Live MOS Sensor
- Total Sensor area: 17.3 x 13.0 mm (in 4:3 aspect ratio)
- Magnesium Alloy, Weather Sealed Body
- 1080/60p/50p – 50Mbps IPB and 24p 72Mbps ALL-I
- MP4, MOV and AVCHD Record Formats (Up to 230 Minutes Clip-Length)
- 610k OLED Monitor and 1740k OLED Live View Finder
- ISO 200-12800 (Extended Mode: 125-25600)
- Uncompressed HDMI
- Tele Conversion Mode – Stills: 2x // Video: 2.4x, 3.6x, 4.8x
- Time Code Support — Free Run, REC Run, Drop and ND
- Slow Movie extension (40%, 50%, 80%) Fast 160/ 200 / 300%
- Electronic Front & Rear Shutter – 6 fps max
- 60 – 1/4000 second // Max Sync Speed: 1/160 sec
- 1/8″ Headphone, 1/8″ Microphone, AV Output, HDMI C (Mini), USB 2.0
- Auto HDR for Still Photographs
- Full application remote control through iOS and Android applications
- New external vertical battery grip and Shotgun Microphone Attachment
- Availability: November/December
- Price: $1,300 Body Only
- Filming Contemporary Dance at the Pavilion Theatre with Panasonic AF101 and GH2
- The biggest missing feature of the GH2 is out. 25p firmware update
- No Apologies Final Scene
- Phil Peel
- Filming the Car Park argument: No Apologies
- Filming No Apologies - The Bathroom scene
- Can The Panasonic GH2 Produce Better Video Than The Canon 5D Mark III?
- Sky News Beijing bureau cameraman Andy Portch reports on a year with the Panasonic AF101 and GH2 cameras.
- No Apologies–the Police interview
- Technical details of use of Canon Mk5 DSLR on BBC Drama